Monday, July 4, 2011

What is the best age to start piano lessons?

You may be wondering what age is a good time to begin formal piano lessons.  I'll share my opinon here, although chances are you could ask other piano teachers and their suggestions would vary somewhat.  I began piano lessons at the beginning of second grade.  Miss Sandy (many of you know her!!) was my piano teacher.  At that time she told my mom that second grade was an ideal age to start piano lessons.  By this age children have developed longer attention spans and concentration, the mathematical concepts needed for comprehending music are stronger, and they have better manual dexterity. 

I taught piano lessons as a teenager, then again as an adult both in Iowa City and here in Glenwood.  While I have started children as young as beginning kindergarteners, my experience has led me to agree with Miss Sandy.  Second grade and above is an ideal age for this type of formal instruction.  Of course there is tremendous variability between children.  If you are still wondering about what's best for your own child, I would love to visit with you about it.  Depending on the child, some children might be ready as beginning first graders.

If you have a young one who is interested in music but may not be ready yet for piano lessons, one option to consider is Kindermusik for the Young Child.  This class will meet on Wednesdays from 6:45 to 7:45 and will include singing, dancing, and movement activities as well as beginning instruction in music notation, recognizing and reading rhythms and other foundational music concepts.

No comments:

Post a Comment